The 35,788 square foot building includes all day rooms, cell fronts, classrooms, room for recreational activities and corridors. The layout incorporates 80 beds in a centralized populations with an elevated superior supervision and control room allowing for a safer and more efficient way to oversee inmates. Prefabricated modular steel cells with showers and safety coating were chosen for a more efficient assembly, saving time when building the jail. Maintenance on the cells was made easier by using a continuous rear chase and double envelope system for borrowed sunlight throughout the chase.
The building was designed to match the architectural character of the surrounding community which included incorporating a sloped roof, brick features, and 3 styles and colors of panels. There are 2 separate, secure gates and entries on the property as well as public and secure parking.
An important feature of the design is the intake / booking counter being 32′ away from and in full view of the control room, making the area very safe and secure for the employees and public. The booking counter has access to the dedicated area for the single level Mental Health Units which include special cells and furniture while maintaining a normalized environment.
The previous A/E design had little owner involvement with a design that exceeded the budget and was eventually abandoned. The new design is the same area as the previous design, but the building is now 100′ shorter and the bed capacity was increased by 10. Byce and Securitecture were able to meet budget requirements all while incorporating a smaller footprint and efficient floor plan.
- Performance Services
- American Structurepoint, Inc.
- Bowman Construction
- Byce & Associates, Inc.
More Information About Tipton County’s New jail:
- Tipton County Opens New Jail – via Kokomo Tribune – February 23, 2020
- Tipton County Jail Breaks Ground on New Facility – via Correctional News – September 25, 2018
- Performance Services to Build $15.1 Tipton County Jail/Sheriff’s Administration Center – via Indiana Construction News – August 10, 2018
- Tipton County Jail Groundbreaking – via Performance Services – August 9, 2018
- Construction to Begin Soon for Tipton County Jail – via Inside Indiana Business – August 9, 2018