Byce & Associates, Inc. is providing the Site Master Planning, Architectural, Civil and Structural Engineering Services for the Charles & Lynn Zhang Animal Care & Resource Center which will house the Kalamazoo Humane Society (KHS). Our partner for the Interior Design, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering is Design Learned from Connecticut, who specializes in animal clinics.
This project is located on a 14.48 parcel of land with approximately half of the site being developed on the east with future development to the west. The vision for the future is to provide a peaceful walking area for pet owners as well as a providing space for a pet memorial park and a training center.
The site is conveniently located at the southwest corner of the I-94 business loop and River Street. Providing easy access to Kalamazoo and the surrounding areas. The initial phase is the 11,069 square-foot single story building that will house the new veterinary clinic, crematory, and office space for the Kalamazoo Humane Society. The space includes a new state-of-the-art surgical area, including animal x-rays. Lobby areas are separated to provide convenient waiting areas for both dog and cat lovers. The planning of the space was designed to allow both comfort to the pets and the owners while providing a logical and practical design for the doctors and staff.
The construction system for the building is a masonry load bearing building with a metal and wood clad exterior, allowing for an energy efficient building. The KHS also wanted a low maintenance and long-term solution for their new home. The interior layout and the location on the site allow for the building to be expanded in the future as they grow.
- Design Learned
- Byce & Associates, Inc.
More Information About the charles and lynn zhang animal care and resource center:
- Kalamazoo Humane Society July Site Update – via Byce YouTube – August 3, 2020
- Kalamazoo Humane Society Breaks Ground – via Owen-Ames-Kimball Project News- October 4, 2019
- Kalamazoo Humane Society Facility Slated for Completion in August 2020 – via MLive – September 19, 2019
- Kalamazoo Humane Society to hold groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday – via WKZO – September 17, 2019
- New Kalamazoo Humane Society Center to Break Ground this Year – via WWMT – August 15, 2019
- Generous Donors Drive KHS Capital Campaign Past Goal! – via KHS Press Release – August 15, 2019
- KHS announces $4.75 mil capital campaign for new facility; $3 mil already raised – via KHS Press Release – June 13, 2017