The existing Branch County Jail and Animal Control Facility Currently sits on a 21.7-acre site where the concept is to utilize as much of the existing facilities and improvements as possible. The new jail facility will be located west of the existing jail building and will allow for possible future expansion. An additional housing pod of at least 200 beds may be located to the north of the building. The Sheriff’s Office Area, Kitchen, Laundry, and Building Support may be expanded to the west.
The new jail will be a single-level operational concept, distinctly divided into four areas: Inmate Housing; Support and Intake; Booking and Release; Public; and the Sheriff’s Office. The tiered cell block features one Control Room to permanently supervise the sixteen dayrooms of double-tiered cells and dormitories. The Support Areas will accommodate the Intake Processing Areas, Kitchen, Mechanical, Laundry, and Medical spaces. The Administrative Areas include office spaces, records, training rooms and support areas.
The Schematic Design concept of the floor plan is meant to illustrate how the various functional components are linked into a compact and logical layout. It illustrates the high degree of visibility from the Control Room, as well as the minimum amount of staff needed for proper orientation. The building is also zoned horizontally to segregate the three types of traffic: public, staff, and secure circulation.
The architectural character of the building exterior was designed with appropriateness in mind. The exterior design will primarily be a combination of brick and concrete masonry and three finishes of architectural metal panels. The design of the building is compatible with the surrounding county governmental facilities and of appropriate image for a new county jail.
More Information About the Branch County New jail and sheriff’s office:
- Branch County Jail Site Update – via Byce YouTube – February 1, 2021
- Prefab cells arriving at new Branch County Jail – via The Daily Reporter – November 18, 2020
- Branch County Jail Site Update – via Byce YouTube – August 17, 2020
- Construction Continues on New Michigan Jail – via CorrectionalNEWS – October 20, 2020
- Jail on schedule for 2021 completion – via The Daily Reporter – September 21, 2020
- Video of new jail construction posted by Byce and Associates – via WTVB – August 24, 2020
- Work on new Branch County Jail ready to go – via WINCountry – April 2, 2020
- Final jail design two months away – via Hillsdale Daily News – January 10, 2020
- Leaders break ground on new Branch County jail – via WoodTV – October 25, 2019
- Branch County clearing ground for new $22 million jail building – via WWMT – October 10, 2019