United Brotherhood of Carpenters
MRCC Union Hall and Apprentice Training Center
Design Program: Byce & Associates, Inc. provided Architectural, Interior Design, and Engineering Services for the United Brotherhood of Carpenters Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters (MRCC) Union Hall and Apprentice Training Center in Wayland, Michigan. The new facility was constructed on an undeveloped parcel of property, where 12 of the existing 19 acres was developed, with the remaining 7 acres reserved for future development. The project consists of two wings separated by a central entry gallery.
The Training Center Wing is a 148’ x 270’ x 40’ conventionally steel framed building with insulated metal panel façade and membrane roof over insulation and steel deck. The Training Center features a 4,200 s.f. welding lab, 30’ wide bridge crane (12 ton), and 12,000 s.f. mezzanine with classrooms beneath.
The Union Hall Wing is approximately 80’ x 130’ x 15’ conventionally steel framed building clad with architectural composite metal panels. Exterior wall infill and interior walls are light gage metal framing, and the interior incorporates standard corporate office level finishes.
The Entry Gallery and featured Large Meeting Hall are a timber framed, glass clad structure approximately 25’ in height and feature polished concrete floors in the corridors, and specialty lighting. The large meeting hall has a folding partition wall with a high NRC rating, and is equipped for multi-media presentations and business fair events.
The mechanical system at Union Hall is comprised of boiler feeding vav boxes with air handlers. A snow melt system was also incorporated at the entries to the facility. To meet and exceed code requirements, the buildings envelope is 20% above code for thermal efficiency.
Design Challenges: The building was to be constructed between 3 wetland areas. The building was also constructed with 2 “fronts”, one being at the main entry and one looking out to US 131.
More information on the MRCC Union Hall and Training Center:
- New Training Center for Carpenters, Millwrights Opens in Wayland – via WZZM13 – April 29, 2019
- New Training Center Opens in Michigan for Carpenters, Millwrights – via WXYZ Detroit – April 29, 2019
- Whitmer Hails Carpenters, Millwrights’ New Training Center as Key to Good Jobs and Strong Michigan Future – via Michigan.gov – April 26, 2019
- Kalamazoo Promise Joins State’s Largest Skilled-Trades Union to Include Apprenticeships – via WWMT – April 26, 2019
- $14 Million Training Center to Provide Real-World Experience in Trades – via MLive – October 24, 2017